[Discussion & Feedback] Buscadon's Chinese Layouts

Finally published the layout! I’ve been wanting to share this layout for a while, since the HSK is missing a lot of important words (some were pretty shocking like 英语 and 日本). It’s a great set, but you definitely need to add some terms on your own. There might still be some issues with this layout, so if there are just let me know.

Get the layout here

祝你们好运!(祝你們好運!)

Who is this layout for?
This is a layout designed specifically for learning Chinese, and provides room for studying both simplified and traditional Chinese characters. This is aimed at anyone studying Chinese who wants a specialized and guided layout without having to know how to make it themselves. It also serves as a great reference if you want to make your own Chinese layout!

For those studying the 5K HSK and 3K Hanzi: The 3K Hanzi should be good to my knowledge, but I highly recommend using this layout alongside Yellowbridge to add words that you find IRL!

Can I use this set with terms I’ve already made in another layout?
Most likely yes! The main requirements of this layout are just that you have the Hanzi, the English term, and the number notation for Pinyin. If any of these are missing, try to add them or none of the layouts will work.

Converting terms from one layout to another is now a relatively quick and simple process! Look at the bottom of this post for a guide on how to do that!

What do all the fields mean?

• Simplified → Simplified characters for the word (ex. 汉语)
  • Traditional → Traditional characters for the word (ex. 漢語)
  • Pinyin.1 → The accent notation of pinyin (to indicate tone). This is generally easier to read, but is not currently accepted as input. (ex. hànyǔ)
  • Pinyin.2 → The number notation of pinyin (to indicate tone). This is less intuitive to read, but is accepted as input and is a good fallback system
  • Meaning → English translation of the word. Keep in mind " , " or " ; " will separate terms, but AFIK they can’t be used together. “Hello, Hi; Hey” would make the terms “Hello” and “Hi; Hey” IIRC.
  • Part of speech → Ex. Adjective, Noun, Phrase, so on
  • Audio → Pronunciation of the word
  • SentenceSimplified → An example sentence that uses simplified characters.
  • SentenceTradional → Above, but traditional.
  • SentencePinyin → The accent notation of pinyin for an example sentence
  • SentenceMeaning → Self explanatory
  • SentenceAudio → Self explanatory
  • Image → You can use this either for a sentence image, or for the Image → Pinyin layout. This layout is useful for cutting out the English part when it’s not strictly necessary.
  • Classifier → Also commonly known as a measure word. Click here to read the wiki on it. Note: since it would be a massive waste of space anywhere else, I decided to put the classifier in the tags for each word.
  • Notes → Self explanatory
  • Source → This is the source of where you found the word &/ example sentence.

Something’s not working right! What do I do?
Please DM me or post a message here so that I can look at what’s going wrong and try to fix it.

Currently available layouts

• Hanzi → Pinyin
  • English → Pinyin
  • Hanzi → English
  • Audio → Pinyin (Listening Practice)
  • Audio → English
  • Sentence (Know/Don’t Know)
  • Image → Pinyin

How to convert your cards from one layout to this one:
See the GIF below! Here’s some notes:

• When matching layouts, only select the layouts you have information for. AKA, if you don’t have an image, don’t add Image → Pinyin.
  • The submenu will show you the fields of your original layout. Make sure to match these up to the proper fields of this layout, or you may lose information!!!

3 Likes