[Discussion & Feedback] 5K Chinese - HSK Vocab Set

I completely forgot about it, but you can actually mark multiple fields as correct answers by adding a hidden div somewhere in the layout like this:

<div id='combinedans'>{{pinyin1}},{{pinyin2}}</div>

where the style is something like:

#combinedans{
display: none;
}

Anything that is inside the combinedans div will count as a correct answer, so you could even add other fields or static text in there (make sure to separate it with a ; or , according to how your data is structured). The syntax that creates the input (e.g. {{spellcheck:fieldname}} ) will only be used for creating the input and determining the type of input, the field used with it will not matter.

1 Like

Love to see it! Also just to double check I understand, I donā€™t have to modify anything to do with the current spellcheck I have in the, just stick it in there?
Either way nice to know, I will definitely be putting it in and adding the tone input tomorrow! Iā€™m still not 100% on the direct Hanzi input, since it kinda disbalances the focus between pronunciation and hanzi, but Iā€™ll probably include it anyways just so people can make their own decision.

1 Like

Correct, it overrides the field the input uses :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, thanks for the info, I just put it into the set!

1 Like

@hikaru1412 & @TheSuicidalMuffin, just to let you know, I just published a deck for studying Chinese Characters! Unfortunately the number notation for Pinyin is not available right now (though you can still study the deck without it). Only the accent notation is currently available.
However, the number notation is already functionally set up, so if someone were hypothetically to go through and add all of the right forms manually, it would be just fine. What Iā€™m hoping is that, if the number of users go large, we could form a big enough team to comb through the terms as they learn and add them through the suggestions feature.

1 Like

In the suggestion pop-up, where would we put the numbered pinyin? In the pinyinalt section?

2 Likes

Youā€™re exactly right. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Thanks for tagging me. Iā€™ll put in the pinyin suggestions as I go through the deck.

1 Like

Whatā€™s the difference between the non-New and new layouts? Eg, difference between ā€˜Hanzi -> Pinyinā€™ and ā€˜Hanzi -> Pinyin Newā€™?

1 Like

The old ones use an old format that doesnā€™t work on phones. It shouldnā€™t work for any card even if you activate it because I didnā€™t give any of them this old layout.
I think I either got rid of the layouts and the publish didnā€™t go through, or Iā€™m still waiting to finish something before I publish another update.

Edit: I kinda figured that it wouldnā€™t delete. @Neicudi, is there any way you could rid of the Hanzi ā†’ Pinyin, Hanzi ā†’ English, English ā†’ Pinyin old layouts (Not the ones that say new)?

1 Like

Where do you see them mentioned in the community deck? Layout filtering?

1 Like

Yep, layout filtering. Itā€™s not the in the base deck tho, I deleted them shortly after I published the deck IIRC.

@Lynnus Iā€™m pretty sure I got a message in my set from you asking where the example sentences are, and I just wanted to let you know Iā€™m working on it! I actually just remembered yesterday about it, so Iā€™ll be working to include them. The big issue is that I need to figure out how to put them in the set in a way that doesnā€™t take up too much space. Any suggestion is appreciated!

Iā€™m going to try and just add it on to the end of the list but if anybody finds a problem with this, Iā€™ll look at another way. Iā€™m also planning on adding a format for sentence tests, which will include the image and audio.

This hasnā€™t been done on Kitsun yet, but Neicudi tells me itā€™s possible (no idea! Canā€™t code). Basically, the idea is to do like WK has with their tabs. When youā€™re doing lessons, it shows like 3 different tabs with the different mnemonics, example sentences and words that kanji is used on. You can click :arrow_right: to move to the next, right? Technically, something like that is possible to do. You could put the example sentences on the back of the card still but under a new tab within the card or something? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Ohhh! Thatā€™s actually a really smart idea, thanks for the suggestion! I donā€™t know if Iā€™d be able to implement a tab system like that since Iā€™m not really a skilled HTML/CSS person. However, I might be able to instead make like collapsing tabs, similar to the note in the Keigo set or the Pinyin note in this set. The only problem is Iā€™d need to figure out how to make it re-hideable, because the two of those canā€™t be minimized once opened.

Also, another question for people:
The set data provides multiple options for sentences: the first is just looking at the full sentence, listening to it, and going through with no input. The other option has a [ ] in each sentence indicating that you should input the proper symbol (in pinyin). Which one would you prefer, if not both?

I would just include both, but my main concern is that I donā€™t want to intimidate people who donā€™t know how to disactivate layouts while studying, and as of now I donā€™t think Iā€™m able to set layouts to be deactivated by default.

Update 10/22/2020: Added example sentences into study! New format: Sentence (No input); includes sentence audio, image, and text. If you see any empty cards, please let me know!

@Lynnus, @Zengster, @TheSuicidalMuffin, @hikaru1412

Yup, I share that concern as well. I believe it was discussed a feature to allow to enable default layouts for community decks before.

1 Like

Any way to hide traditional characters? Iā€™m also learning Japanese so I donā€™t want to be able to guess a word if I donā€™t recognise the simplified version lol

1 Like

Hi Zengster! Right now Iā€™m pretty busy with college, so itā€™s hard to find the time to work on sets, but Iā€™ll definitely consider the request.

The only concern I have other than time is the same with the sentence layouts: ā€œI would just include both, but my main concern is that I donā€™t want to intimidate people who donā€™t know how to disactivate layouts while studying, and as of now I donā€™t think Iā€™m able to set layouts to be deactivated by default.ā€

Thank you so much for this deck @Buscadon! The IPA is so great to have! I started using it a couple of days ago, and I have a couple of questions/suggestion.
Is there any way to add audio for sentences in other layouts? And also would it be possible to make sentences into separate cards just like 10k? :thinking: I have siblings separated and also a lot of the sentences are too hard for me right now, so it would be nice to divide those two

2 Likes