Demote bug?

On the 10k Japanese deck. I’ve accrued a big backlog of items I’ve promoted to the front of the learning queue (lessons). So now when I come across a new word during a conversation practice with my tutor, instead of promoting it to the front of the lesson queue, I’ve been demoting it and setting the level to 1 to get it into my review queue.
Today I’m finding that setting the level this way is not working. (And making me doubt if it ever has)
To recreate, open the 10k deck, find a word that’s not been studied, demote it to level 1 - it will now show as being at level 1 in the table. Then leave the deck, re-enter and search for the same word, it will not have level 1 at this time.

I’m doing this because the manual lesson queue is ordered on the deck index. So if I get taught a new word in class, but it’s relatively high index, should I manually add it to the lesson queue, I won’t see it again for a while.

I guess the answer is not to have front-loaded so many new words, but I added a lot of words for N4 studying.

Another way I use it, I demote learnt words if I struggle to remember them. Pretty sure those have been popping back in the review queue. It’s really helpful for reinforcing tricky words

Could you take a look as this impacts how I use kitsun quite a bit, thanks

Tried in latest firefox and chrome versions, demote wasn’t ‘sticking’ in either of them.
Tried demoting to level 2, no difference.

I believe if you don’t do the lesson, there is nothing to demote…in the way you are using it, it is going from 0-> 1 so that is a ‘promotion’. There is a known ‘bug’ that allows the presentation of skipping SRS levels but Kitsun doesn’t actually allow it (it was discussed at length on Discord; demote button can only demote, not promote). In short, I’m pretty sure you have to do the lesson no matter what and ‘add to front of lesson queue’ is probably the best option here but I see the issue mentioned.

In my experience, it is much easier to have separate personal decks when mining words rather than trying to extract it out of an existing (and definitely much faster/convenient to generate the dictionary taking seconds rather than going through a deck manager). I know the 10k has some nice features, but you can always filter. For time management wise, it is much easier to have separate study piles and less punishing…my 2 cents since you mentioned your backlog of lessons.

1 Like

thanks for the reply. That makes a lot of sense as I feel the demote is working for words I’ve previously studied. I really like the 10k deck since I figured out to also manually add on the sentence side as I think it’s helping my listening ability.
Previously I was wrangling multiple decks at once and it really added to that ‘SRS chore’ feeling

1 Like