Creating simple reading deck for Japanese

Hello,

I am a new user and I an trying to set up a really simple sentence reading deck for Japanese. I can’t seem to find any documentation that explains how to set up custom cards.

The front of the card should be all in kanji. The back of the card should give the hiragana readings for all the kanji, plus a translation.

Front:

これは犬です。

Back:

これはいぬです。
This is a dog.

Is there a way to set this up, and to get the kanji on the rear of the card to automatically appear as hiragana? Or, do I need to do this manually?

Apologies if I have missed something obvious. If so, I would appreciate it if someone could help me out by showing me where the explanation might be.

Thanks,

Richard

1 Like

There are a number of converters; word doc or sites like Kanji Romaji Hiragana Convert can take kanji and convert to kana. They are not perfect so may need additional checks conversion choices. I’m not sure your source, but if uploading csv you can just mass copy/paste on a Google sheet or Excel and export into Kitsun as a word list on a template of choosing along with translation values.

Hi Richard!

Regarding the technical documentation, it’s currently hidden due to being a bit outdated (in both content and design) and is on the to-do list for a big rewrite. However, you can still access it at https://kitsun.io/help

The information there about setting up custom cards and using the kitsun specific syntax should all be there and still work the same.

Regarding automatically converting it to hiragana, it will not do this. However, if you have two fields in your template (say kanji and kana), you can put the {{kanji}} field at the front and the {{kana}} field at the back through altering the custom layouts.

Layouts are a mix of HTML and CSS so it would be helpful if you are familiar with those a little bit. Otherwise, I’d try to check existing layouts, duplicate them and replace the {{field}} fields with the ones that you need.

Hope that helps a bit! Feel free to ask if you need further help :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: