Core 10K vs learning the JLPT decks one after the other?

Hi,

I was wondering if you recommend using the JLPT N-5 to N1 decks over the 10k core deck and your reasoning for recommending on over the other.

I’m probably at around N4 level as of now (finished Genki 1 & 2 in college, want to keep studying on my own in a structured manner now)

Thanks in advance for your input^^

2 Likes

This may not be helpful…I don’t use either, but I know the 10k is well structured and beyond just a vocab list with sentence add ons and audio and such with alot of community feedback to tune it which is really ideal for vocab SRS while the JLPT is deck is straight up vocab and less filter options & tag options.

I’d say it’s a personal decision and would probably factor your short term goals and other study methods you are using. Though the 10k is exceptional, a reason I don’t use it is because I like the autonomy of various difficulty levels in various decks where I can choose what I want to review daily and not obligated to review it if I don’t want to (which is important to my study style). Sometimes I review certain content just to refresh and I’m not obligated to SRS it daily. Other larger decks with harder content, I have to review daily otherwise the SRS will smash me (which is ok, that is exactly what I want). And I’m not necessarily recommending this approach, it’s just what works for me.

I think I had enough through the WK experience to constantly get land-locked-content; both lesson/review without any choice and for me that wasn’t very motivating and review count had to be cleared daily (but then again, some others like it). Of course the 10k has far more flexibility than that and many here have benefited greatly…with the ‘known’ vocab features in Kitsun, I likely will selectively use the 10k myself eventually (which is another option and a benefit of the Kitsun platform to have a collected base of all your known words and then deck-jump anywhere you want).

2 Likes

A bit old, but the lack of Kanji only questions might be an issue sooner or later; So it might be a bit hard to recommend going for the JLPT versions, I also want to know what the Kanji means.

1 Like

Nevermind, after some attempts I got it to work, thanks to you :smiley: I appreciate the help

Depends on if you are in for it the long haul or just to accomplish short term goals, such as JLPT. I’m doing the 10k deck since I know that I’ll be doing it for quite a while and don’t really mind the low level JLPTs, the lowest JLPT I’m willing to do is the N2 one, since it might actually be somewhat useful.

But if you need the extra motivation and short term goals, sure, JLPT route. But the 10k deck is just too good to pass on, and it would suck to do the JLPT ones and then go back to the 10k one and have a bunch of words you already know.

No need to repeat content, just filter known words and hibernate

All the lists are a shot in the dark on whoever generated the list. I went through Soumatome N2 vocab list and Soumatome N2 Tango; completely different, probably like 20-30% overlap. And the Tanos on the Kitsun is different again. The words probably won’t help with a SciFi manga, but very rudimentary for day to day and not rare at all.

Agreed. I’ve finished some minna no nihongo decks and subsequently the genki 1+2 deck. Now moving into the 10k, I was able to easily filter those and wanikani words (there is a WK tag you can filter by). This is def. one of my favorite kitsun features <3

2 Likes