Copy/Duplicate Cards

I really like the “move to other deck” feature for cards, but what about copying a card? Instead of removing it from the original deck, it would just make a copy of the original and place it in the new deck.

2 Likes

Do you mean from community decks? Or just personal deck to personal deck?

Out of curiosity, what would you use this for? I’d imagine that you wouldn’t want to study duplicate cards anyways?

2 Likes

From personal deck to personal deck! I actually don’t mind learning duplicate cards for the most part. (Mostly because I find it too tedious every time I start a new community deck to go through and manually hibernate all the cards I already have in other decks. I’ve just developed an immunity to it, I suppose.)

I’m planning on throwing together a sort of “crash course” deck to use while we reach the slow part of my job over the summer and I have no classes, which is gonna have a lot of information from multiple different sources at once. I’d like to be able to still maintain decks for each of those sources after the fact as seperate entities, but the thought of having to manually recreate so many cards feels daunting.

Personally, I wouldn’t care about it carrying over SRS levels or synonyms or anything like that. Just remembering the layout, the template, and what information is in each field is fine with me. Even tags I wouldn’t mind not carrying over.

2 Likes

Actually, follow up thought. I would also be content with an export feature, even if it’s to CSV format. Then I could just pop it into excel and grab what I need. Really either of the two solutions would be fine with me.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll put it on the list :slight_smile:

Export functionality needs to be reworked as much has changed since then (before the redesign). Implementing a copy function would probably be much easier for now ^^

Would you expect the progress (notes/synonyms/srs level/status etc) to also copy over while making a copy?

1 Like

I don’t know about other people, but I wouldn’t care about it. But if it’s something you anticipated other people wanting out of the feature, perhaps there could be a toggle prompt of some kind when copying (same screen that you select which deck to copy to, perhaps?) I think the only non-field item I would want to carry over would perhaps be tags.

I actually had a use case for this the other day and ended up using a Google Sheet as a work around.

One of my textbooks includes grammar phrases I wanted to study, some of which aren’t included as dictionary entries (maybe because they’re conjugations of other words, combinations of words, etc.) so I had to make cards for them by hand. For particularly difficult grammar points, I wanted to make multiple cards with various sentences for examples, but each time I did this, I had to make sure I rewrote certain pieces of information (Vocabulary, Meaning, Parts of Speech, etc.).

With a duplicate feature, I could have simply duplicated the card (creating a new card, so no SRS progress) and changed the fields I wanted to change. At that point, if someone wanted to duplicate a card to add it to another deck, they could make use of the function already built in to transfer cards to different decks. At least, that’s how I had imagined it might work.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve developed the habit of just making all my decks in google sheets first, then using the .csv files to just import to multiple decks as needed and then delete the cards I don’t need from the .csv file. It removes the ease of the cases when using the Jisho integration would give me more information sadly…

1 Like

Thanks for the info both, I’ve noted it down! Stay tuned ^^

1 Like

While it wouldn’t be vital, if it’s possible it would be a good idea to make this optional. Personally one thing I would like to do is go through some of my older sets and fix some of the mistakes I made, without having to either go through and edit the mistakes 1 by 1 or lose my progress on those terms.
For example, in my first set there are a lot of words that have no Kanji, and for that reason they don’t have a reading attached. So every time I encounter one, I just have to go into edit mode and copy paste. Isn’t the worst thing but could be easier.
If I could export them to excel, I could pretty easily put all of the non-kanji lines into one big block, which I could easily add the pronunciations to.

1 Like

This was a feature more than half a year ago? Previous to the redesign at least. Deck creators could export the deck to excel, work with it there and upload them back to Kitsun.

2 Likes

If so, then I would love to see that back. :smile:

2 Likes

As far as I know, it only got “removed” because the new design was launched without having a design for the feature itself xD I used it myself and I was always fearful of messing up with the excel sheet, but I’m a noob on excel :stuck_out_tongue: It was a nice feature.

2 Likes

Don’t worry, excel is pretty friendly I think! I mean if you ever make a mistake you can just undo it, and once you learn how the format of a doc needs to be, it’s just a matter of making sure it stays in that format.
One thing I love about Kitsun is that it doesn’t matter what order I put the headers in, because I can just reorder them in the importer! How convenient.

2 Likes

The main problem with the export and reimport feature is that it is very easy to completely break the reimport. It expects specific columns and rows in certain orders. Kitsun needs references to map rows to cards so there’s a lot of ids in there, making a mistake or the reimport going wrong could ruin your deck.

It’s the main reason I took out the feature, aside from there being no section for it yet in the redesign back then.

2 Likes