Cat Street View of a Hiroshima Mall

Hey guys! I’m currently in college and one of my classes (how to get the most out of public libraries) required us to do some digging about maps. In the class forums, someone posted a link to a map they found that had a “street view” of a Hiroshima mall, but from a cat’s perspective!

I thought I would share it because the website is in Japanese (although navigable if you aren’t very advanced in your reading skills yet), and includes tons of real signs, posters, etc that you would see out in the “real world” versus learning from a book. It’s pretty good!

Edit: Would probably make sense if I remembered to add the link :roll_eyes:

Edit 2: It has a minigame to find all the cats! I don’t know if this is new or I just missed it the first time, but to “collect” the cats, you have to click on a pop-up which gives a little bio and information about the cat, in Japanese! There’s 95 cats in total. Additionally, to the left there are little blurbs that change any time you move the camera forward/backward, which acts as a “tour” for the mall.

also, the starting point has a cat right next to the camera :sob:

5 Likes

Ahh Hiroshima, the city that I want to visit on my next trip to Japan :smile:
Sadly it doesn’t seem to work on my desktop so I’ll have to check it out on my laptop later, but thanks for sharing! :smiley:

1 Like

Omg this looks so cute! Thanks for sharing :heart_eyes:

But am I doing something wrong? I click on “start” (both phone and desktop) and I just get a black screen :thinking:

1 Like

That’s actually what happened on my desktop back then as well :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit:
Can confirm it’s also black on a fresh windows install :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

oh no :frowning: I’m not sure what will cause it. It is a little slow to load when I just checked. I’m using Google Chrome, I’m not sure if that is a difference.

Here is how it looks on my end, directly after clicking start and waiting for it to load:

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s working now! It just takes quite some time to load. I let the page open and now I just went to check and it works! :grin: I’ll have fun reading all the signs later :eyes:

1 Like

Btw, I know I’m a bit late, but for anyone interested: This is not actually in Hiroshima city. It’s in Onomichi (Hiroshima prefecture). Definitely worth a visit though - they have delicious ramen :wink:

1 Like

I’m actually going there this October! :smiley: Anything specific you’d recommend besides the great view? I’m planning to cycle the Shimanami Kaido when we get there :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Shimanami Kaido is definitely still on my list for the future too ^^

I was in Onomichi (among other places) in January with my girlfriend. We didn’t spend a lot of time there, but other than the town itself (with that shopping district), Senkoji is worth visiting. it’s within a park on a small mountain (you get up there by ropeway), so you’ll get a nice view too. Below the ropeway is a shrine (I think it’s Ushitora Shrine) with a very impressive sacred tree.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll check them out :smiley:

1 Like