Auto hiragana making pinyin answers wrong

I tried looking through forums and also Kitsun’s discord and couldn’t find an answer, so hopefully someone who sees this can help.

I am trying to make a Chinese vocabulary deck for a friend and myself, and tried a few cards to test. During quiz, the pinyin readings don’t work.

When I type the pinyin using a pinyin keyboard, the answer shakes when I enter. When I try to use the English keyboard, the automatic hiragana eats my input (converts pinyin answer to hiragana).

I tried different templates and layouts, but no matter what I do, the card will accept only hiragana readings, which of course get marked wrong, because hiragana doesn’t match the correct answer (which is in pinyin).

I really hope to find a way to turn off the automatic hiragana for a Chinese deck. I’ve been telling my friend how great kitsun is for studying Japanese vocabulary, so hopefully we can figure out a way to use it for Chinese too.

In short, how do I stop automatic hiragana for the readings?

1 Like

Hiya!

This is completely dependent on the layouts that you use for your cards. Could you give me an example of a card that you’ve made and doublecheck the layouts being used? The layout should have {{type:xxxx}} or {{spellcheck:xxxx}} in it for it not to have hiragana conversion.

Sorry for the late response and thank you for introducing your friend to Kitsun! I’m very glad to hear that :smile:

1 Like

Your answer was faster than I expected with the holiday weekend in the states. I made the fix to a couple of card pairs, and I think you just solved my problem. Now I can play around some more with this amazing web site you’ve created! I wish this had been around when I was in university.
謝謝
Thank you!
ありがとございます!

3 Likes

And thank you! You have created such a great user experience and such a professionally managed project. It’s really impressive!
I think Kitsun can really help many people. Once I get my first deck created I’ll try to get my children started here. My friend’s son is studying Mandarin in school, and I will be making a deck with her help for her children and mine. She is a native speaker, so she will be a big help.

3 Likes

That’s fantastic to hear! Thank you for the compliments and please let me know if you have any other questions or feedback :smile:

1 Like