Anybody else studying Korean or other language than Japanese?

I have never tried to read filipino, i should give a try :wink:

What a sweet reason to learn a new language :sunglasses:

Personally speaking, I think Russian sounds very nice and it’s one of my favourite European languages. I listen to a lot of Russian songs even though I don’t understand them.
And for some reason, Russian ‘sounds’ somewhat similar to Portuguese. It’s a weird claim, but I agree with it.
Yesterday, for example, I was listening to a Russian music and the word ‘Футболка’ (Futbolka) appeared quite often. In my head, it sounded like soccer (futebol). But upon searching about it, I found out this is the world for t-shirt. So, may sound similar, but very different meanings.

Também acho. Tentei me me forçar a aprender espanhol várias vezes por cause disso. However, in the end, I really don’t have much interest in the language. Still, no big issues to understand the meaning if someone speaks to me in Spanish.
And just a random fact: I met a guy another day who is from Galicia and his ‘dialect’ seems much closer to Portuguese than Spanish. I knew about this dialect before but first time actually hearing in real life. So, it was a Portuguese / Galician conversation.

I love learning new words, but regarding grammar I’m not so enthusiastic and feels like I’m dragging myself sometimes. Well, Korean and Japanese grammar structure are completely different and I get frustrated occasionally.

Nice hahaha

The Portuguese language keeps reappearing in this thread, haha.
And one fellow Korean learner [or proficient in kr already?] :wink:

4 Likes

Sorry for replying to an older thread.

I’m here for Japanese, but also Korean as I am trying to learn that as well.

At some point I think I would like to make a Swedish deck (I know a little as it’s my mom’s family’s native language, but not enough) if someone else doesn’t make one first (it seems hard, particularly adding audio). Maybe someday Danish and Norwegian (because you’re halfway there already with Swedish). If I’m daring Spanish (because it seems useful and I took 3 years in school) and German (because I was born there and I’m the only one who can’t understand it in my family).

2 Likes

I even forgot I did this thread haha.

I had an hiatus in learning both languages because of final semester at college but here i’m again.

Does Swedish/Danish/Norwegian are somewhat similar to German?
Btw, your family seems to be able to speak different languages, which is nice :wink:

After I get more vocab and grammar for Jp and Kr I want to start Hebrew but so far I found out that hebrews and arabs decks are a bit complicated as it is difficult to produce digital audio for it because they tend to omit vowels.

2 Likes

Scandinavian languages like Swedish are also Germanic languages so they are somewhat related to German, but they are quite different. In terms of structure Swedish would be more like English though Swedish does have two genders where English has none and German has three. There are some shared roots in vocab though pronunciation between Swedish and German is totally different.

Yeah, I think I’m pretty lucky that my family is interested in different languages. My grandma spoke eight! I can kinda get by in maybe three on a good day (I’ve got a long way to go).

2 Likes