A way to set SRS level for items?

I am trying to transfer a bunch of items over from another SRS program by just adding them one by one, but I would really like to preserve how far they were in SRS and not start them all over… I saw the demote buttion in actions lets you set a level but it will never actually save the level I set items to after using it.

3 Likes

Welcome!

The demote action can only set the level lower than what it currently is. There currently is no way to promote cards because it could encourage cheating of the SRS.

A possible solution for this might be that you can only promote cards at the unlearned stage or after completing the lessons, but on the other hand people could just demote to 0 and then promote the cards again.

At that point I think it should not matter anymore though, so perhaps it’s a non issue anyways :laughing:

I’ve added the feature to my backlog. Thanks for the suggestion!

2 Likes

The main problem with this would be in terms of experience, right? Maybe not giving experience for promoting cards would be the right thing to do. I think it makes sense for you to only get experience points from the work you do inside Kitsun (no matter if you know the card already, etc).

What I can imagine though is that instead of people hibernating cards, they’ll add them to Master rank immediately. Not sure what to think of it :thinking:

Maybe just allow people to promote cards during import/from an import deck? I remember you mentioning that you were going to dig into seeing how feasible it was to somehow translate progress on Anki to Kitsun.

2 Likes

A non-cheating use for this might be to set terms you’re familiar with to a higher level without outright hibernating them. Tho personally I prefer to just go through the SRS stages regardless.

Wouldn’t that make it so that every card has the same SRS level though?

I don’t think so. I think it’s possible to have to export the SRS stage data through the Anki export method. The thing is that the SRS intervals on Anki and on Kitsun are very different, so the main problem is knowing how to best translate the Anki intervals to Kitsun intervals without having too much deviation.

It’s rather difficult to track down the review history of anki, which is needed for calculating the srs levels based on the total time. Anki does not work with levels but rather just time getting smaller or bigger if I recall correctly. Meaning you’d have to find all review data and basically retrace the steps. time + time + time seems easy enough, but things get messy when you consider that you can have a wrong answer, and the time until the next review gets shorter. Would you then disregard the shorter time, would you subtract it or ??. I think there is no perfect solution for this.

Just think of a scenario where the last few reviews were all marked as incorrect, if you just disregard the shorter times it would not be accurate. Now think of a scenario where the last few reviews were marked as incorrect, but the very last review was marked as correct. If you disregarding might be better here, but subtracting would probably be inaccurate…

Afterwards you could match the total time spent on the item with the total time needed to reach a certain level in Kitsun.

At least, that’s what I remember from it.

I also know that there is a new (optional) v2.1 scheduler in Anki which has a different algorythm or something, possibly storing progress information differently.

2 Likes