A calculator that predicts your number of reviews (Anti-burnout tool)

Problem:

I’m sure a lot of you here have as a habit to do x number of lessons per day. We try to find a load that we know we’ll be able to sustain in the short and long-term. We mainly have two concerns: to be able to maintain an effective memorization of the new content and to be able to handle that many reviews. But here’s the question: How can the average user predict the load they’ll have in the future? They can’t, at least accurately. Experience can give us an idea of how much they’ll be able to substain, but this too often requires failure. We all hear stories of people that end up burning out, mainly because they don’t know what’s coming.

Solution:

What if we had a tool that would calculate for us the number of reviews that we’ll have in the future by increasing/decreasing the number of new lessons per day? Even better, allow us to add a specific accuracy to the calculation. The best option ever: use our accuracy based on our history, and have it calculate how many reviews we’ll be doing per day with x new lessons/day and the current SRS intervals.

For the sake of simplification, I think this should be done per deck. I also think this should come after @Neicudi implements some statistics for the user to see (because this is heavily dependent on that, I guess). I also think that we have so many people in here and love coding/math, so I won’t accept a “this is soooo hard to implemeeeeeeeeeent”. We should all just help make this work. I’ll be here cheering for you guys :eyes:

As an example, I’ve recently increased my load of new lessons/day from 40 to 50 (from 20 to 25 words) on the Core 10k. I’m also doing 5 lessons/day on the katakana one. My goal with this is to finish Core 10k before JLPT next July. However, I have no idea how this will influence my reviews/day. I was already doing 400 reviews/day on all decks and I have yet to start seeing reviews for Fire Fox, which means that I have no way to predict my daily load for the next months. I might be slowly killing myself, who knows.

2 Likes

How do you retain all that information?

I just have the time to sit down and make sure I get a solid first exposure xD Plus, giving all those suggestions to Hine’s Core 10k forces me to actually pay attention to what I’m doing.

Though a self-study tool, mainly to review recently learned items, would help me sooo sooo much :3

4 Likes

This would be soooo hard to implement! :wink:

I like the idea and think its doable. It would also prevent those ‘so slow’ posts since they can easily see how heavy it will become (im thinking graphs)

4 Likes

Yup. It would help anyone to balance things out and have a much more healthy learning :v:

2 Likes