How to copy community decks to personal?

Hello!

I am trying to create a personal deck for going along with Genki. There are great Genki community decks available, but I don’t gel with the colours/layout. Obviously I can’t edit this as they are community decks… so is there a way for me to copy them over to a personal deck where I can tweak the colours etc, or some other similar solution that retains the content but allows me to edit the presentation?

Thank you!

3 Likes

That currently is not possible. There’s a planned feature that will allow community deck creators to share a copy with specific users however, but not sure how high of a priority it is.

My suggestion would be for you to import a Genki deck available on the internet to Kitsun and tweak it as you’d like :slight_smile: Also, different decks designs do take a while to adapt but the weird feeling goes away after a few days of usage. I had that with Wanikani and other Kitsun decks I’ve went through.

3 Likes

Thanks. I’ve tried importing some Anki decks, but they… aren’t great. It would take a lot of setup work to get them to match up the fields, if there isn’t a Kitsun friendly, importable deck available somewhere.

I suspect what I’ll end up doing is using something like Stylish to create a custom CSS to change the community themes in the browser if it can’t be done easily in Kitsun.

3 Likes

I have just discovered that I can import a CSV list much easier. Not sure why I didn’t realise that before. That should mean I can just grab the Genki word list and import it into my own templates with a bit of header tweaking. Much easier. Thanks for the help!

4 Likes

Okay, I have another follow up. I found the Genki word list, and cleaned it up a bit so that it has a proper index, clearer headings which relate to Kitsun’s definitions, etc.

Here it is as a csv:

https://allmywordsarejapanese.files.wordpress.com/2020/09/genki-word-list-1.csv_.zip

Folks should be able to import that directly into their own templates/layouts fairly easily.

The ‘vocabulary’ was blank for the kana only words in the above list, so I hacked together a quick way to ensure that there was no blank fields if you have templates which get mucked up by that. Quick and dirty, but works nicely. Here is that if anybody wants it:

https://allmywordsarejapanese.files.wordpress.com/2020/09/genki-word-list-2.csv_.zip

There is no audio in these, as they were pulled directly from a blank word list. If some clever person has an easy way to mass generate audio references please let me know!

3 Likes

This is something I wish for when I see a shooting star. It would really be nice, but the main problem is importing it as CSVs, you can’t really import audio AFIK. And there’s no current way to mass add audio once terms are added into Kitsun, which is pretty fair considering how it works. Then of course, getting the audio itself. You could potentially use an API + Forvo, but that might not be the best.

1 Like

Glad you got a solution already and thanks for sharing the resource :slight_smile:

Regarding the mass audio generation:

Japanese Audio (for dictionary cards) is generated through google APIs and cached on Kitsun’s hosting once generated (so no additional API requests are made for generation of the same vocabulary word).

I just took a look and it seems like the hosting now has 28749 audio files for Japanese, which I think covers most of the common vocabulary. With that in mind, it might be okay to allow generation for complete decks as most of the words should be cached on the Kitsun hosting already. This should prevent it from incurring large additional costs (Google API requests cost money).

There already is an internal API function that generates audio for complete decks, so it wouldn’t be difficult to add this to the frontend of Kitsun for everyone to use.

The only problem I see with it is that users might generate audio for things other than Japanese or for fields which contain sentences, which are not cached yet, and incurring large additional costs because of that.

Maybe as a workaround I could add a “Request audio generation” feature (button + field selection) that sends me a request and I’ll be able to approve it manually?

2 Likes

That would be sweeeet.

2 Likes

I think the only problem with this is that it would be confusing to any non-Japanese set makers, so maybe only make this feature appear if the deck is labeled as Japanese?

2 Likes